Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The "Big Money" Question

That teacher you have been trying to get into coaching finally comes to you and asks you for help in the classroom. You ask, “What is it you are thinking about working on?” And she responds, “I need help getting my first graders going in guided reading.” Your head swims with possibilities, after all, you taught guided reading for years and this is an area that you feel comfortable with. But then it hits you, there are too many possibilities…where should you start? You hold back from throwing out a thousand ideas and ask the “big money” question, “What is it that you want your students to be able to do as readers?” Suddenly the conversation shifts, and you are on your way to a focused and clear conversation that is about student learning.

Modifications for Secondary-
The same conversation takes place but replace “guided reading” with any of the following “classroom management, student engagement, or rigor” and you are in the same coaching place. You ask the same question, “What is it that you want your students to be able to do?” and you are off and running.

If I were to suggest having one vital question in your back pocket this would be it. As you get into a cycle, this question can be changed to any of the following, “What are we seeing that the students are doing?” “What do we still hope for among our students and what have they accomplished?” The bottom line is focus questioning on students more and on the teacher less.

1 comment:

Lana said...

That is exactly what I needed to read today. That question has come up in recent conversation (guided reading in 1st grade). I did hold back all of "my" ideas and instead told the teacher I wanted to come in and observe to see what structures were already in place. Now I have been reminded of the "big money question" that I need to use to jumpstart our next conversation. As coaches we wear many "hats-" collaborator, consultant, coach....etc. My goal for this month is to stay more in the coaching role and I think by remembering this one very important question and using it often that will be easier to accomplish! Thanks! :)